Today NumFOCUS is pleased to introduce a new program for our individual supporters, called Open Science Champions. Each year, our community members generously support NumFOCUS and our Projects in several ways; this program is intended to connect these various forms of support so that we can engage with our community most effectively and offer our supporters a meaningful experience with us. Please read below for more information on what this exciting development entails.
What is an “Open Science Champion”?
An Open Science Champion is an individual supporter of NumFOCUS and our Projects, that is, someone who champions our goal of making scientific computing more open and accessible. For instance, NumFOCUS staff members depend on our Board of Directors, PyData volunteers, and committee members who offer their time and talents in service to our mission. Likewise with our Projects — volunteer contributors, after all, form the very core of the notion of open source.
Our donors are also Open Science Champions. Year over year, total donations from individuals grew by more than 20% between 2017 and 2018 and by nearly 60% between 2018 and 2019. There is much enthusiasm right now for supporting NumFOCUS!
What does the program include?
We’re hoping to capitalize on this enthusiasm, and in order to do so, we are integrating several components of the support we seek from individuals in our community. Our Open Science Champions program will include:
- Offering ways for individuals to amplify their impact, including more volunteer opportunities and information on corporate match gifts
- Timelier and more accurate recognition of individual donors
- Increased transparency around how NumFOCUS uses donations to advance our mission
- Creating a more holistic supporter experience by developing connections between monetary donations to NumFOCUS and other forms of support
In keeping with our goal of most effectively serving our community, the objectives above were informed by responses to the 2020 NumFOCUS Community Survey we conducted in January.
How can I get involved?
- Sponsor the Launch! Help set the pace for our individual giving as we enter the second half of 2020.
- Match your donation! Many employers will match your financial support or even the volunteer hours you contribute to NumFOCUS.
- Discover additional ways to support NumFOCUS! We rely on volunteers and advocates to help advance our mission. Find volunteer opportunities here or contact us at to learn more about how you can help us engage your employer for corporate support.
We will be updating our volunteer opportunities and providing more information on this program in the coming months, so please stay connected with us. Many thanks to all of our supporters, especially our Launch Sponsors listed below!