The NumFOCUS Mission
The mission of NumFOCUS is to promote open practices in research, data, and scientific computing by serving as a fiscal sponsor for open source projects and organizing community-driven educational programs.
NumFOCUS is a 501(c)3 public charity in the United States.
NumFOCUS envisions an inclusive scientific and research community that utilizes actively supported open source software to make impactful discoveries for a better world.
Open Code Promotes Innovation & Discovery
Scientific software is a fundamental component of modern research and engineering. The complex calculations and sophisticated analyses made possible by advances in data management and software create new opportunities for discovery and innovation.
“Open source” software — meaning software that anyone may use, inspect, modify, and redistribute — is increasingly the standard in academic research because it promotes accessibility and reproducibility.
Open source software also provides significant benefits for industry and business, allowing for-profit companies to enjoy the efficiencies of freely available, functional public code rather than pay to develop software from scratch. In effect, open-source acts as a shared pool of public research and development (R&D) that companies can use directly and leverage to build solutions.
NumFOCUS connects the community with expertise from knowledgeable and trusted sources.
- Our Corporate Sponsorship Program provides a vehicle for communication and collaboration between projects and industry.
- Our Research Partnerships Program provides guidance on how educational and research institutions can better support scientific software development, maintenance, research, and advancement.
- Our Sustainability Program provides a model for how projects can promote their own long-term health from within.
- Our Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing (DISC) Program provides guidance on how to best promote diversity and inclusion within open source data science communities. We believe that diversity drives innovation and discovery.
- Our PyData global network is a community-driven educational program that promotes discussion of best practices, new approaches, and emerging technologies for data management, processing, analytics, and visualization.