Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing (DISC)
Join the Committee!
Nominations are open for membership on the DISC Committee!
We are seeking 3 new members to serve a 2-year term (2019-2021). The DISC Committee helps to guide the direction and activities of the DISC Program. New DISC Committee Members have ample opportunity to bring their own ideas and energy to the program, in addition to enhancing work on current projects and priorities.
Committee Membership is open to all individuals in the NumFOCUS community.
The NumFOCUS DISC Program is led by Gina Helfrich, NumFOCUS Director of Communications and Culture, and advised by the DISC Committee.
DISC Committee Members:
- Julie Hollek (Data Scientist, Twitter)
- Jennifer Klay (Professor of Physics, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo; NumFOCUS Board of Directors)
- Julia Meinwald (Open Source Coordinator, Two Sigma Investments)
- Reshama Shaikh (Data Scientist; Organizer for NYC Women in Machine Learning & Data Science)
- Samuel Brice (Software Engineer, Two Sigma)
- Leonie Mueck (Division Editor, PLOS)
- Madicken Munk (Postdoctoral Research Scholar, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at UIUC)
DISC Program Mission
NumFOCUS recognizes that the open source data science community is currently highly homogenous. We believe that diverse contributors and community members produce better science and better projects. NumFOCUS strives to help create a more diverse community through initiatives and programming devoted to increasing participation by and inclusion of underrepresented people.
NumFOCUS Diversity Statement
NumFOCUS welcomes and encourages participation in our community by people of all backgrounds and identities. We are committed to promoting and sustaining a culture that values mutual respect, tolerance, and learning, and we work together as a community to help each other live out these values.
For a more detailed explication of NumFOCUS’s position on diversity in the community, see the Diversity Appendix.