Job Title: Events and Digital Marketing Coordinator
The primary role of the Events and Digital Marketing Coordinator is to support and assist the Events Manager and the Community Communications and Marketing Manager to advance one of NumFOCUS’s primary missions of educating and building the community of users and developers of open source scientific computer programing tools.
Many of your responsibilities will involve supporting PyData (www.pydata.org), the NumFOCUS flagship educational program that provides a forum for the international community of users and developers of data analysis tools to share ideas and learn from each other. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, we have adapted our operations to accommodate virtual conferences. However, the organization will resume in-person conferences and meetings as soon as safety considerations allow. We host approximately a dozen conferences around the world each year and support over 180 Meetups in 66 countries. These events bring together key stakeholders in the community as well as generate revenue that funds our mission to advance science through open code. In this role, you will work with NumFOCUS staff and volunteers to coordinate all logistics of our conferences and events.
You will also assist with the digital marketing activities that help drive participants to NumFOCUS events, including our social media channels and Websites. You’ll keep the community up to date through a monthly PyData newsletter and social campaigns. You’ll work with the Community Communications and Marketing Manager to come up with unique marketing strategies tailored to our diverse community.
Candidates must be able to work in the U.S. This is a full-time position located in Austin, Texas, but full-time remote work is possible for the right candidate.
NumFOCUS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that promotes open practices in research, data, and scientific computing by serving as a fiscal sponsor for open source projects and organizing community-driven educational programs. We are global in scope but operate out of our headquarters in Austin, TX.
You will be working with a small team of friendly and dedicated nonprofit professionals. NumFOCUS staff support the international community of researchers and data scientists whose work accelerates life-changing research and scientific discoveries for a better world. (Our community is made up of lots of incredibly smart and passionate people!)
More information on our mission and programs is available on our website: www.numfocus.org
Our Core Values are the guiding principles by which NumFOCUS makes decisions and defines our culture.
- Inclusivity: Commitment to diversity and a welcoming, friendly community.
- Transparency: Open access creates a collaborative community in which the best ideas can come forward.
- Curiosity: Passion for learning and commitment to scientific inquiry.
- Collaboration: The best ideas come from a diverse group of individuals working together.
What Makes This Job Awesome
Our team works together closely, and we support one another to do our best. We enjoy generous benefits (medical/dental/vision) and paid time off. Work-from-home days are supported and encouraged. Our office vibe is casual and friendly.
The Events and Digital Marketing Coordinator enjoys opportunities to travel to other cities in support of our events. You can expect to spend about 10 days a year traveling.*
- Coordinate work with individual conference committees to successfully and efficiently execute conference plans
- Represent NumFOCUS at events, serving as a friendly point of contact for the community to get answers to questions and learn about our mission and programs*
- Manage relationships with vendors (videographer, A/V, etc.)
- Coordinate and track shipping of event materials between Austin HQ and event venues*
- Communicate with event sponsors to facilitate fulfillment of their benefits
- Assist with attendee registration using event management software (Eventbrite)
- Respond to invoice and refund requests in a timely manner
- Update PyData websites with new details and information on an ongoing basis
- Communicate with event participants and respond to community inquiries and requests
- Help coordinate the PyData meetup network by serving as a point of contact and a resource to local meetup chapter organizers
- Work with Communication & Marketing Manager on social media campaigns
- Draft, send, and analyze event-related email communications including the PyData monthly newsletter
- Assist Communication & Marketing Manager with basic graphics and collateral to support event marketing (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Manage PyData Twitter account
- Attend weekly Digital Strategy Meeting
- Track KPIs for PyData related social channels
- Support other NumFOCUS team members as needed
- Must be detail oriented, task driven, reliable, and able to complete work on time. We will depend on you to independently complete work that is essential to the success of our events and programs.
- Outstanding interpersonal communications skills, both oral and written. You’re comfortable interacting with a wide variety of people on a daily basis. You can communicate clearly and effectively. You understand that conference committees are made up of passionate volunteers and make it your mission to help them create the best event possible for their community.
- Working knowledge of digital marketing and communications tools, or willingness and aptitude to learn. Because our community is global, we rely heavily on a variety of digital tools to coordinate event marketing and logistics.
Preferred qualifications (nice-to-have, not required):
- Prior event planning, social media, or marketing experience
- Experience working with a distributed/remote team
- Familiarity with data science communities and tools
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Note: Given the COVID-19 pandemic, in-person conferences and travel have been suspended but will resume once safety considerations allow.