Job Title: Development Director
The primary role of the Development Director is to develop and implement strategies to raise revenue for NumFOCUS operations, programs, and projects. The Development Director must be both results driven and flexible as they work in partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to design, oversee and implement a comprehensive and well-defined fundraising plan for the organization.
You will identify opportunities for fundraising through both private and public sources, including corporations, organizations, foundations, and individuals. You will write grants and work with program officers at philanthropic organizations on behalf of NumFOCUS and its projects. You will conduct extensive outreach to expand the network of NumFOCUS’ contacts and maintain and deepen existing relationships with NumFOCUS funders. You will discover and capitalize on funding opportunities, connecting the interests of potential funders with the needs of the NumFOCUS organization.
This role will be responsible for designing and executing a fundraising plan that will provide NumFOCUS with a predictable, sustainable “funding quilt” that enables the organization to grow and scale. The ideal candidate will thrive with a small but energetic staff and contribute to a creative, collaborative, productive, and fun work environment.
This is a full-time, salaried position. (No commission or bonus structure.)
Annual Salary: $75,000-$90,000 depending upon experience.
NumFOCUS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that promotes open practices in research, data, and scientific computing by serving as a fiscal sponsor for open source projects and organizing community-driven educational programs. We are global in scope but operate out of our headquarters in Austin, TX.
You will be working with a small team of friendly and dedicated nonprofit professionals. NumFOCUS staff support the international community of researchers and data scientists whose work accelerates life-changing research and scientific discoveries for a better world. (Our community is made up of lots of incredibly smart and passionate people!)
More information on our mission and programs is available on our website: www.numfocus.org
Our Core Values are the guiding principles by which NumFOCUS makes decisions and defines our culture.
- Inclusivity: Commitment to diversity and a welcoming, friendly community.
- Transparency: Open access creates a collaborative community in which the best ideas can come forward.
- Curiosity: Passion for learning and commitment to scientific inquiry.
- Collaboration: The best ideas come from a diverse group of individuals working together.
You are a confident and experienced fundraiser. You excel at establishing and cultivating relationships with corporate decision-makers and program officers of government and philanthropic funding organizations. You are an excellent communicator, both in person and in writing—including developing compelling grant proposals. You are able to absorb and process complex details and requirements; you understand where the needs and pain points are across many different projects and programs, and you’re able to identify multiple potential funding sources to solve those issues. You are a creative thinker: you have a knack for understanding the interests of potential donors and creating funding opportunities that align those interests with organizational needs. You understand the complex interpersonal, organizational, and process challenges that prevent funding needs from being met, and you are able to use creative problem-solving skills to unravel and overcome those challenges.
What Makes This Job Awesome
Our team works together closely, and we support one another to do our best. We enjoy generous benefits (medical/dental/vision) and paid time off. Work-from-home days are supported and encouraged. Our office vibe is casual and friendly. Remote work is possible for this position.
- Work with the Executive Director to prepare fundraising plans based on the strategic direction set by the board and projected organizational needs
- Advise the leadership and finance teams on revenue projections
- Conduct prospect research to develop new funding sources
- Identify, cultivate, and steward new and prospective donors to develop lasting relationships
- Identify grant opportunities for operational support and programs; write non-technical grant applications and work with appropriate project stakeholders to help prepare technical grant applications and grant reports as necessary
- Initiate systems related to grants including creating and maintaining a comprehensive grant calendar and coordinating funder deliverables within specific deadlines
- Coordinate with the Communications Director on strategies to engage and sustain membership through outreach activities and programs
- In cooperation with the finance team, supervise gift processing and overall database management
- Coordinate with the Events Manager to prepare outreach at events and connect with potential funders attending NumFOCUS events
- Attend community events and meetings to establish new foundation and corporate relationships
- Make presentations to industry groups and conferences to promote the organization as needed
- Support other NumFOCUS fundraising/development functions as needed
- Outstanding interpersonal communications skills, both oral and written. You can communicate clearly and effectively. You’re comfortable interacting with a wide variety of people on a daily basis, including very senior executives. You’re sensitive to how and when fundraising messages need to be receiv